Pages

Saturday 3 January 2015

New Year, New Challenges, New Possibilities

It's been a while since I posted anything and after a busy and draining end to the year I found it hard to get my head around sharing anything.

This year I am going to make it a real goal to shift my natural inclination of being a doer to one of being a leader.  Having been in a leadership role for a few years now I know the importance of bringing people on board with your plans.  I have been very lucky lately to have an amazing team that I work with that understood how I worked and were always along for the ride!

In 2015 though I am taking up leadership in a new syndicate with a new team, some of whom are new to the school.  This will require a change in tack and offer an opportunity to change and develop my leadership style.  Below are the areas I want to focus on.
  • Focus on the end goal but also put more emphasis on my team's journey there.  What steps are my team taking? What support do THEY need to take ownership of the goals?  
  • Taking less ownership of projects - I am guilty of being a doer and I enjoy seeing work through to the end, but I need to let others take control.  This will help my workload and also shows that I trust my team and their judgement.
  • Develop processes and systems with my team that develop meaningful collaboration.
  • Give every member of my team the chance to lead in their own areas of strength and passion.  No one effectively leads in their area of weakness, that is why we build teams.  Giving these opportunities develops confidence and strengthens the team.  It also lets everyone be seen as an expert in their own right. 

In many ways this year is about me, about me developing into the leader that I want to be.  But to do that, this year will be about others, making others successful, making others experts, and making others into leaders.  

This year will be about humility and the greater good.  2015 will be a good year!


No comments:

Post a Comment