Pages

Sunday 1 February 2015

Goodbye Dear Friend

Today is a sad day for me… I have to say goodbye to a very dear friend.  We have worked closely for the last year and he has taught me so much about how I can work better, share with others and improve the way my students learn.  We had our differences, sometime he did not work as well as I thought he should but eventually I learnt that he just did things a little bit differently to the other guy I worked with.  In the end he was my go to guy, the one I went to with almost all my idea.  I guess that made some people uncomfortable, it was different, it was a change.  But I loved every minute of it.


Today I say goodbye to my Chromebook,  I have to give him back.  A change in class level has meant he is no longer mine.


In all seriousness though the challenge to go to GAFE was set at the end of 2012.  We had a year to trial it and see how it worked.  My team and I were expected to dabble and play around.  To see what we might be able to achieve.  


We did the right things, went to see high performing schools using GAFE, we were signed up for Hapara.  But we refused to dabble, we took a risk… go all in.  This change in mindshift was totally empowering.  We were going to make mistakes, we were going to get it wrong at times, we were going to have to deal with the naysayers.  


But we did it anyway,  we did it without enough devices, we did it with devices that didn't work as well as they should.  But we adapted, we made it work.


The journey was amazing.  We knew the pedagogical shifts we wanted to make; to be more collaborative and more creative.  We wanted to scaffold our students so that they could see the kinds of things that could be created.  S we did things differently, we made out writing books look like Google Docs with a comments margin, we made graphic organisers that the students could use online and on paper, we showed student how to layer when making posters on paper and explained how it was the same in Slides.  


We worked out how to use GAFE tools for their strengths,  Docs for ongoing growing documents with specific feedback, Slides if you wanted to make things pretty, Sheets for handling and filtering data.  


Our students loved it, feedback that wasn't gone when they turned a page, that for whatever reason they seemed to care about.  The ability to create documents they were proud of.  Those students who had poor presentation skills were no longer disadvantaged.  Suddenly our Dyslexic and struggling writers had access to speech to text, another barrier down.  The world was opened up to us.  


In short the year was an amazing first step.  


Now I have to adapt.  GAFE is probably less of a focus where I am now.  It will be about iPads.  So I am looking forward to learning about app smashing, about finding new ways to motivate younger students to develop the mindset of collaboration, creativity, critical thinking and effective communication.  To see their young minds expand to see the possibilities that their generation has.  My current school reminds me of the first school I worked at.  We had a brilliant vision back there that is so applicable; Rural School, Global Outlook.


We are not limited anymore by our geological location.  We can travel through time and space in our classrooms and that is one of the most exciting things about being in education today.  So get out there, be brave, jump all in to whatever you see as being important.  Remember - Whatever is Worth Doing is Worth Doing Well!


I hope you enjoyed this Blog post, it felt a bit rushed as it is part of the #28dayofwriting challenge where you write for 28 minutes every day for the month of February.  Thank you for taking time to read this post and if you are taking part in #28dayofwriting, good luck and I look forward to seeing your posts.

2 comments:

  1. Read this again and evaluate your year in hindsight...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read this again and evaluate your year in hindsight...

    ReplyDelete